Story of Addiction (S05 E03)


I finished up the food and we both set up to leave for the vigil. Funmilayo called on Brother Segun to help us to close the gate. He just kept staring and wondering what might have come over me with the church things. He didn't ask but I guess that he already knows that I'm up to no good.
We passed through the kitchen door to avoid seeing any of our parents (trying to avoid questions). We were about taking off on a bike when brother Segun broke the silence mood.


Brother Segun: make sure you guys come back together as early as 6am tomorrow morning
Me: (smiling) we will definitely be back before then
Brother Segun: (smiling) I'm not talking to you; I'm talking to Funmilayo. When I say, "don't get drunk" ... then I'm talking to you. Just be careful!
Me: (looking confused) hanhan. ... ... I..
His words and the look on his face confirmed that he already knows that my vigil is a decoy to stay out of the house. I wanted to say something but just couldn't muster enough words to counter his allegations until the bikeman zooms off.
We were quite on the bike until we got to the church. I paid the bikeman and tried connecting a call to Adedoyin but her phone was not going through; maybe they are still on the plane and their phone still on flight mode (only god knows why one can't receive calls in the plane.. shio..). It's 10:15pm already. The vigil starts 11pm. Just looking confused by the minutes.

Funmilayo: (smiling) so... I guess your friends are not picking their calls.
Me: something like that... network is not good in the guys area. He will definitely call when he has a good reception on his phone (still looking confused)
Funmilayo: (smiling) okay... Lets have a seat around the corner of the church and hopes he calls before the vigil starts.

We both moved to a corner and I kept on trying Adedoyin's number which still remain futile. I looked around and I was surprised to see people hanging around the dark but in the opened places around the church. Most of the people hanging together are mostly a boy ... a girl and in some cases two boys and a girl.

Me : (smiling) so is this your favourite corner when you come to church?
Funmilayo: (looking confused) how do you mean?
Me: (still smiling) look around and tell me jo?
Funmilayo: (scanning around) you are not serious (smiling)
Me: so who troubles my beautiful sister whenever she comes to church on a day like this?
Funmilayo: (smiling) nobody... I would have gone inside for a nap, if it's not that you are around.
Me: hmnnnn.. I know that.......

I was cut short by "Luther Vandross" song (dance with my father) which happened to be my ring tone now for months now. It's the call that I have been expecting all night; only that it was from Sarah. I picked and we chatted for like five minutes. She said that I should come and meet them at the usual place (rooftop hotel). I stood up; which signalled that I'm ready to take my leave.

Funmilayo: how are we going to meet tomorrow morning?
Me: Don't worry... I will definitely get in touch with you.

1 comment: